Thursday, October 24, 2013

Kenobi

By John Jackson Miller

Normally I think these book reviews are supposed to rave about a great read.  I can't quite rave about this one, although it wasn't the worst thing I've ever read.  I suppose it may be worth warning those of you looking for a Star Wars book about Obi-Wan Kenobi that this book is going to be a bit of a disappointment.  I've heard it described as a western novel, and that may be true, I've never read a western.  But if the title is a character's name you would expect the book to be about him.  The first half of the book doesn't mention Kenobi, it is about Annilee, a woman who owns a supply store on Tattooine. That's quite a portion of reading to get through before Kenobi finally enters the storyline.  There's very little character insight into Kenobi except for a few pages of his meditation dialogue.  The author spent all his energy on developing Annilee, and seemed terrified to go very deeply into an established Star Wars character's real feelings.  After slamming the book shut at 2 a.m. in frustration, I vowed to just stick to the fan fiction websites where the amateurs aren't afraid of giving a character a personality.

~ Becky

No comments: